Friday, January 5, 2007

signs you've moved too much

I am currently in the process of going through all my stuff, in order to figure out how best to put it in storage while I'm in China. Naively, I thought that since I've moved around so much in the past five years (I've changed addresses eight times since I graduated from Williams, and that's not counting the times I temporarily moved back home) that all my stuff would be magically pared down, reduced to only the basic essentials, because surely I wouldn't have continued moving useless junk around with me for five years??? And surely, since I've necessarily been going through it every time I move to make sure what's there (!), I wouldn't be surprised by random stuff that I've chucked into milk crates/plastic bags every time I move... right?

Stuff I've found so far:

1. Instruction manual for cell phone which I haven't used in over two years
2. Clipless pedals for my mountain bike which I haven't gotten around to putting on yet (in plastic bag together with shoe polish, for some unknown reason)
3. Blinking rear light for bike (non-functioning, needs new battery. Has needed new battery for several years)
4. Repair kit for Whisperlite stove
5. Chain whip and spoke length gauge (only bike tools I own - inherited from my dad's old shop)
6. Lint remover
7. Actual cell phone which I haven't used in over two years. (what do you do with old cell phones? apparently, put them in a box and forget about them)
8. Pimsleur CDs for learning Mandarin Chinese which my old roommate gave to me. Never listened to.
9. Found my alpine ski goggles!!!
10. Leftover N'Sync valentines
11. 32 cent stamps
12. Granola bar (which I am currently eating - wasn't that old)

I would just like to point out that all of the above items were found IN THE SAME BOX.

Moving on, we find...

13. Can of paint which leaked all over my headlamp : (
14. CO2 cartridges
15. Padlock with no key (which I'm keeping in case I ever find the key)
16. 3-foot-high stack of Chinese books (I'm not even kidding)
17. Picture of the Middlebury Russian School soccer team
18. Bottle of Tylenol
19. Pay stubs from my work-study job at Williams
20. Expired coupon for oil change at Jiffy-Lube
21. Charlie's birthday card (sorry Charlie... you'll get it tomorrow!)

OK... that is all for now. I'm tired, and I keep sneezing from all the dust I keep stirring up. more tomorrow!