Today's big news was that my roommate broke up with her boyfriend. She went out earlier this morning to help another American student that she's friends with buy some kind of jade dragon figurine. On the way back to the dormitory on the subway, she saw a guy who looked like her boyfriend with another girl. When she called him about it, he was very short with her, and apparently, not that friendly. When she suggested they break up, he agreed.
The problem with all of this is that ever since the decision was made, she's been either talking to me about it, or talking to other people on the phone about it. I don't really know what to say - mostly because what I say would have to be said in Chinese, and I just don't have any background in what to say to people when their boyfriend turns out to be really creepy - other than, "well, you think THAT'S bad, well MY story's even WORSE...!" which I'm not sure is all that helpful. I told her she should call her mom, because I think no matter where you're from, moms always know what to say - though dads aren't bad, either! (and together with a sister's offer to kick them in the shins really hard, it's an unbeatable combination!) How do you say, "there's a lid for every pot" in Chinese? "There's a spoon for every wok?" not sure...
Today's big project was getting pictures developed - went to the Kodak place down the street with my USB drive, and an hour later, had prints of all the photos I've taken so far. I'm going to be mailing them home soon, so Mom and Dad, keep an eye out! I figured that's the best way to show you what I've been doing so far, and there's a bunch of good pictures of my birthday party in there (minus the ones of my roommate and her now ex-boyfriend, which have all since been ripped in half).
I am now off to shower and do more homework... argh. I am REALLY bummed to be missing the Superbowl - it's set to broadcast live in Beijing starting at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning - just in time for class. No commercials, and no Prince halftime show. Plus, no chance to hear Chinese color commentary. I wonder what "touchdown" is in Chinese...?
time to check the laundry in the dryer... more later!