I was getting ready to head out to the computer lab when I heard a strange rumbling. Really, it was unlike anything I'd ever heard before - just a low growl coming from the sky. It wasn't until I got outside that I saw flashes of lightning in the clouds, and realized that it was a thunderstorm - but a constant, rumbling thunderstorm, not at all like what I'm used to hearing at home. Maybe it's the fact that I have a slight sore throat (and possibly a fever) that's making what I'm writing not make any sense, but it was really kind of creepy! I hurried up the street to the computer lab as fast as I could, passing lots of people huddling in doorways waiting for the rain to pass. It was POURING by the time I got here, and I am just passing time right now, waiting for it all to end.
This week is just flying by... can't believe I only have a little over two weeks left in China, and then I'm home! I just checked the Red Sox schedule, and they're going to be at Fenway the week after I get back -- my plan right now is to fly back to NH, spend a week at home wtih the parents recovering from the jet lag, and then drive my car back June 17th. don't even want to THINK about having to unpack all my stuff again - it was such a hassle packing in the first place, and I was so stressed and chaotic at the time I don't know where half the stuff went -- I have all these grand schemes about making sure everything is perfectly organized this time, but I'm sure I'm just going to wind up chucking it all in my closet again and forgetting about it... how am I ever going to find anything again???
The one disappointment is that I'm not going to be able to run the mile in the university track meet - as it turns out, it's on Friday and Saturday instead of Saturday and Sunday, and I have a class conflict. I will, however, be able to participate in the tug-of-war, which should be fun, provided we can drag enough people out of bed - who on earth schedules a tug-of-war competition for 8:30 Friday morning? Hopefully I will have recovered from my sore throat by then - I have a ton of throat drops and some tea, and just napped all afternoon, so now feel much better... we need four girls to form a team, so I've got to show up!
Other than the throat, life in China is moving along as usual - when I got back to the dorm yesterday, there was a Chinese worker calmly smoking a cigarrette while leaning on the "No Smoking" sign - they've been using torches attached to highly explosive tanks of gas to cut through the rusty iron pipes they're replacing in the dorm... but he didn't seem too worried. I really wanted to go grab my camera and take a picture, but by the time I got back he was gone.
What else? My roommate taught me to put up my hair in a twist and secure it with a chopstick - it actually looks really cool! We had a lot of fun playing with my hair - it was very pajama-party-like. Much more fun than homework!
Nuts - I just remembered I have calligraphy class in ten minutes. I'm not planning on going - I'm still kind of sick - but I still need to head over there and tell the teacher I'm not coming. that's all for now!