Wednesday, April 25, 2007

making friends with frisbee

The highlights and lowlights of this week so far have both been closely connected with learning how to throw a frisbee.  Yes, I admit it.  I suck at frisbee throwing, which makes me both an object of incredulity and amusement, and it is only due to the incredible patience and good nature of my fellow students that anyone is still willing to play with me at all.  I'm terrible.  I mean, I try hard, and I can usually manage to catch the thing, even as it's rebounding off my forehead, but I still haven't figured out how to get it to go in the right direction.  I mean, it all looks so easy!  We were out on the athletic fields a few days ago, warming up while we were waiting for the ROTC-like cadres to finish marching back and forth.  Their leader, instead of watching them, was busy watching us throw the frisbee back and forth.  One of my friends noticed him mimicking our movements in a sort of "air-frisbee" like throwing motion, and invited him to join our group.  I've had people trying to teach me how to throw a frisbee for YEARS now, and this guy just picked it up just like that!  Of course, he was pretty inaccurate and wobbly at first, but we all just got the biggest kick out of playing frisbee with a Chinese drill sargent (if indeed that's what he was - he seemed to be too friendly for a drill sargent, and just kept talking on his cell phone all the time).
 
OK - off to run to class now.  I've also started running in the mornings this week - that combined with the frisbee games means that I've been hobbling around campus like a 90 year old woman - but it's SO nice to be outside enjoying the warmer weather!  (ok - it's about 45 degrees out right now and windy, but at least it's not snowing anymore!)  more later-