Monday, April 9, 2007
brief update from China
Having been distracted from writing my research paper by someone inexplicably blasting Usher's "Yeah" right outside the window of the computer lab where I'm currently located, I thought I would give a brief update on my status. I'm writing a 1500 page research paper (and the term "research" should be interpreted very loosely) on intellectual property rights in china - specifically, on copyright law. It is rather ironic, actually, because I am discussing plagiarism while having the book open on my lap, and copying sentences out of it almost entirely word-for-word. This is the way things work in China, though - you copy it from the book, because the book is right. If you try to use your own words, you are quickly told by the teacher that your own words are incorrect. How to be sure you use the correct words? copy them out of the book. Such is the way things go in China... but I still have 750 characters to go, and I'm running out of ideas fast. ok - back to work now. more later...