Monday, December 18, 2006

筹建设立

筹建设立-chou jian she li - prepare to establish (this is all super-boring news reading, so bear with me).

心力衰竭-xin li shuai jie - heart failure (what Pinochet died of).

确凿发展-que zuo fa zhan - "real development" - what the South Koreans are hoping this round of six-party talks will bring.

轨道-gui dao - orbit. What "发现号“ (Discovery) is currently in.

赔偿-pei chang - compensation.

压倒多数-ya dao duo shu - absolute majority.

辱骂-ru ma - curse. (what the Sunnis were doing to the Shiites, and vice versa, on the streets of Beirut last week).

疏散-shu san - evacuate.

独裁者-du cai zhe - dictator. I don't know why, but I have a really hard time remembering this word...

故意-gu yi - intentionally.

涉嫌 - she xian - suspected.

醜 traditional equals 丑 simplified. It is a HUGE pain to have to remember both writing systems (they're both going to appear on the test) - most of the characters are pretty much equivalent, but a few aren't - chou (ugly) is one of the bad ones. It has a ghost 鬼 - gui - radical in it - I just have to remember that ghosts are ugly.

震撼人心-zhen han ren xin - thrilling, exciting (refers to U.S. plans to build a space station on the moon by 2020).

殖民-zhi min - colonize (refers to foreign colonial rule of China, also refers to the U.S. colonizing the moon).

抵制 - dǐ zhì - resistance; refusal (to cooperate); boycott.

暗示-an shi - imply.

旷日持久-kuang ri chi jiu - prolonged.

袭击 /襲擊 - xi ji - attack. Another simplified/traditional pair I need to remember. The traditional ji is another one I don't like...

陷入-xian ru - to sink into. Combined with 内战(nei zhan - civil war) it refers to Iraq. 派系-pai xi - factions - is another good term here.

即使-ji shi - even if. This is one I really shouldn't forget, but always do. ji shi = even if. ji shi = even if. ji shi = even if.

蒙上阴影-meng shang yin ying - uncertainties arise.

大赦- da she - amnesty.

得罪-de zui - offend.

ugh. I can't bear to look at any more news articles. more tomorrow... i guess....